As believers, we live in grace. Our faith in Jesus has united us with Him so that God richly pours out His grace on us every second of every day. With this exceeding amount of favor, naturally, there are buckets and buckets of blessings that we forget to thank God for. Today, I want to list a few of these blessings that escape our remembrance in the hopes that our hearts will be lifted toward greater adoration and praise of God.
Remember to thank God for…
1) Taste buds and food that tastes good – God could have made it so that we eat tasteless, gray porridge for every meal just so our bodies could function, but instead we get food like quesadillas and drinks like sweet tea!
2) Laughter – God made us with a sense of humor and good, wholesome things to laugh at, like old pictures of ourselves from the 80’s.
3) A good parking space – My pregnant wife realizes the sweetness of this blessing every time she has to lumber in from the back of the parking lot with our two boys in the summer heat.
4) Daily showers – I didn’t start thanking God for this until I went on a mission trip where I had to bathe out of a bucket for a week.
5) Traffic – Have you ever thought about what God could be saving you from by keeping you in traffic?
6) Color – Have you ever been to Home Depot to see all their paint color samples? I didn’t know you could have so many shades of one color. Praise God that He exposed us to the creative beauty of color instead of making us see everything in black and white.
7) Melody – We listen to music every day, but we rarely think about how all the elements of a song fit together. Contrary to what some people may think, Mozart didn’t invent music, God did, and I think He’s saving the best music for heaven.
8) Weakness – We spend so much time trying to fix our weaknesses or escape them that we don’t stop and thank God that, in our weaknesses, He has given us reminders of how much we need Him, and promised that “[His] power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Corinthians 12:9).
9) The ability to sit down – This may sound strange until you’ve been on your feet working all day and then finally get the opportunity to plop down in a cushy armchair. God wisely constructed our bodies so that we could enjoy relief from the strain of bodily work with a good sit.
10) Habit – When used for good, habit is a wonderful blessing. As we set a pattern for doing good things, God designed habit to kick in and make those things easier to continue. Praise God that doing right doesn’t remain as hard as getting started.